Home

My main intentions when I started this project was to create a photographic outcome which showed  a series  of images in relation to class. I also wanted these information to be categorised with the ‘small’ things about class which makes the class along the way. As I found my categories I started my final outcome. The examples below show my process from my journal of drawings and notes which lead me in the direction for creating my outcome.

Scan 121 Scan 122

Here I started to look at what information I can use to sub categorise the classes and what names to give them. I looked at terminology from the new class system and realised I did not want to use the same terminology as I wanted my audience to know the general terms for class because at the end of the day the new class system still fits into the older class system and I wanted my main focus to be on the deeper analysis of class which was the sub categorise I found.
I want my final to be in A0 because I feel that this is appropriate to get a really good selection of photographs within this frame. I also wanted to do it A0 so my audience can interact with the image by going in to have a closer look and actually using the key I provide at the bottom on the page.

Coding/Key

Organising my information took some time. Firstly to figure out what I wanted to say and the right terminology to use as well as using an interesting and understandable format. The things I had to consider were: Typefaces, information of images and relevant key, what colours to use , what shapes to use, and the overall look. I also wanted to coding to be interesting and thought provoking- that maybe the audience viewing the piece of work can also agree and disagree and form their own opinion.

Examples below show my notes on how I wanted to organise my information.

Typefaces

Even though I only would have a small section of body copy and heading I wanted to use the right style of typography which would be easy to read and also quiet contemporary.

My favourite typeface and the one I thought that would be most appropriate was DIN, Avenier and Eurostile.
After trying out all three I concluded that Eurostile was almost too boxed and restricts and thought it would be less appropriate to use as I wanted the body copy to be quiet warm and inviting for my audience to read. I really liked DIN more then anything else because I had previously used that in my photography book and felt it had a better feel and better tone of voice to contribute to my final piece.

Starting my final outcome

I decided to use 135 images for my final outcome that was in small rectangular box frames> I decided to use 135 images after I played around with different numbers of boxes. I found that 135 images for an A0 worked best in terms of scale and how well my audience can see the images and still be able to see the detailing within the images and coding.

Screenshots off  me working on my final outcome using photoshop. I used photoshop because it was the best software to edit my images if I had to. I had some problems trying to scale to images into the size of the boxes so this meant I had to get the actual size of the boxes within and use that as a template for the other images.

Colour v Black and white
NEW FINAL new
NEW FINAL new

For my final major project outcome I decided to do my photography in Black and white. I did this because :
1. my audience can focus on the image itself and not anything that can distract them like colours
2. It would be much more appropriate for the coding that will be in colour so my images should be in black and white
3. I can create tones and constant within my images I cannot with colour
4. Has a much more photographic contemporary feel to it.

Test printing my Outcome/ fixing errors

Once my outcome was done and I created appropriate coding and key for my images I did one test print-
The images shows below show my test print.
photo 2-5

I wasn’t very happy with how the print came out- I noticed the images were too grayscale and didn’t show much tones of black and white. I noticed that it could have been different reason. For one. when I changed my images from colour to black and white I did not change the amount of yellows and red in an image and I think this just squashed all elements of the image down to one tone of colour. So I had to re do the editing from colour to black and white again and this way I changed some images that had low exposure and images that didn’t work well in black and white due to it being out of focus.
My next step is to change the exposure and contrast of the images and make a final print that I am happy with.

I also changed one image that didn’t work well at all with it being in black and white.
Images below show the different in constant and changes I made.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s